How to Build an Arbor for Your Backyard
If you are looking for a way to add beauty as well as function, you might consider adding an arbor to your backyard landscape. Arbors are a fun and creative way to accessorize your outdoor living environment. Here is a quick guide on how to build an arbor for your backyard.
Two 4×4 posts (10 feet long)
Two 2×6 (6 feet long)
Two 2×6 (7 feet long)
Twenty-six 2×2 rails (45 inches long)
Eight galvanized lag screws
1. Start by using a posthole digger to dig 2 holes that are 2 feet deep. Place the posts into the holes and pour approximately 6 inches of gravel in the hole. Check the posts for proper straightness and then fill the hole with concrete.
2. Now, take your two 2×6 pieces of wood and cut them into 4 even sections. Using the drill, and the square, place these crossbeams on the front and back of the posts. Attach with the lag screws.
3. Using a jigsaw, shape the ends of your 7-foot 2×6. The design could be inspired by your home or an existing structure in your yard.
4. Using the galvanized nails, attach the 7-foot beams to your posts. Be sure that the 7-foot beams are perpendicular to the 3-foot crossbeams. Use a minimum of 2 nails per end.
5. Cut your 2×2 rails to proper length allowing each end to have approximately ½ an inch of overhang. Drive one nail through each end. Place another rail beside the existing rail to determine the proper spacing. Proceed until all rails are used.
6. Your arbor structure is now structurally complete. You can either stain or paint the arbor to match your home.
This arbor will serve as a great entrance to a garden or as a unique place to hide away and read a good book.